Saturday, May 16, 2015

Apparently the trauma stays in me... even until now.

 I think I saw a much scarier version of this poster, or is it just me?

So this film is exactly the reason of why I do not watch horror films, let alone in theaters. And that is why any film school assignment of watching some of the best (read: scariest) horror films like 1973's The Exorcist (which is f****** scary even for many adult people I believe), The Shining, Nightmare on Elm Street, Ringu and more titles I can't really remember is always torturing for me.

I remember my first (and only) encounter with this film was when I was in 2nd grade. It was during the night, I was asleep from around 8 pm (if you ask me why was I already asleep at that time, I was a 2nd grader for any sake) in my bedroom. At that moment, I still shared my bedroom with my brother, who is by age 3 years older than me (now it's my own bedroom). I suddenly woke up at around 9 or 9.30 pm, when I found that my brother was not in the bedroom. I saw the lights from the computer room (now my brother's bedroom), which was located right across my bedroom, were on. My bedroom's door has a small window on top of it, which allows me to see the whether the lights right outside my bedroom are on or off. So, with no suspicions whatsoever, I entered the computer room and saw my whole family watching this film from (yes, still) this similar kind of computer.

If you have never experienced using this kind of computer, then you're so young, if not too young.

It was real bad luck for me for not long after I entered the room, what popped up on the screen was this scene.



WHICH WAS ASDFGHJKL SCARY FOR A 2ND GRADER ME, REALLY.

I have no memory whatsoever of watching any horror film before this, so yeah it was really shocking for me. But I didn't scream though. I think I was too shocked to scream. It was a totally bad experience for me; I even had a hiatus from seeing Michael Jackson's face for quite some time after seeing just a glimpse of that film because I thought that he was a real ghost (how stupid I was, LOL). It makes me scared of ghosts and horror films. I know that there will be shocks (which many of you enjoy, I suppose. But I don't *sobs*).

Well, honestly speaking, I myself was (and still am, many times) an easily startled person. Call me a coward, whatever, but that's just it. Actually, what scares me from horror films is not really the face of the ghost, but more on the sound effect that accompanies its establishment. Now I won't be scared seeing these screenshots of specially-effected Michael Jackson's face anymore (well yeah, I am brave enough to upload them now though), but I mean, come on. All those horrible, shocking high-pitched sounds that would pop up alongside scary (or blank, for worse) faces especially on a big wide screen? It's a big no no.

As far as I remember, that scene was already almost the end of the film (correct me if I'm wrong). Surprisingly I stayed in the room until the end of the film (which I don't remember), maybe because of the sudden accidental shock therapy that I received that night that made me too scared to go back to my bedroom alone that I'd rather stay and wait for my brother to come back together. After the film ended, my mum calmly put the VCD back into its box, where I saw the cover, which added the level of scariness for me. Gosh. At that time I was like, "how could mum put the VCD back into the case so calmly? That thing is scary!" (no I never said it out loud to my mum. I kept those words in my heart hahaha).

Right now, in my spare time, I watch films from various different genres and movements (on my next post I will publish my Top 5 Guilty Pleasure Films list), but I am yet to watch horror films on my own. I want to do it, though. As a film student, of course it is necessary to watch films from different genres and not just the drama ones. But the question still remains: how to get rid of that fear?

Yeah, the answer is still yet to come. Help me!

No comments:

Post a Comment